Mesentech is led by a team of renowned scientists and industry professionals with deep expertise in bone repair research and drug development.
Bob YoungFounder & President
• 30+ years leading discovery at Merck resulting in $80B+ in revenue from development of Singulair®. Vioxx®, Arcoxia®, Previcox®, Tredaptive® and odanacatib • Recipient of Heros of Chemistry award and the Order of Canada award • Two time recipient of Prix Galien (UK and Canada)
• Head of Business Development at Novateur Ventures • Founder and former CEO of Datapoint Diagnostics • Co-founder of C7bio • Deep international experience in clinical development, financing, regulatory strategy, pharmaceutical partnerships, recruiting angel investors, asset sale and patenting • Speaks 5 languages having lived and worked in China, Israel, Brazil, US & Canada.
Michael UnderhillCo-founder & Chief Science Officer
• Leading foundational research on mechanisms underlying bone formation • Co-founder of Corigen and Nexigen • Professor of Microbiology & Immunology at UBC
Peter SavasExecutive Chairman
• Serial CEO with 8 positive exists for shareholders • Current CEO of Likeminds • Formerly CEO of Alseres Pharma • Chairman and CEO of Aderis Pharmaceuticals, developer of the Neupro® transdermal patch marketed worldwide to treat Parkinson’s disease • Chairman and CEO of Unisyn, a cGMP contract manufacturer of biologics for clinical trials • leadership positions with Bristol Meyers, Waters, Millipore, Genex and Zymark.
• 30 years of biotech deal-making experience spanning medical device, health technology, diagnostics and therapeutics • 2014 Biotechnology Law Lawyer of the Year • Leading lawyer in biotechnology law (2010-2019)
• CFO of zymeworks for 11 years • Raised over $300M • Director of Ovensa Inc. • Extensive experience with mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and taxation
• 20+ years of experience in clinical periodontal treatment and dental implants • Leading research understanding the mechanisms underlying bone destruction • Leading development of novel approaches to rebuild lost alveolar bone prior to dental implant placement • Professor of Dentistry at University of Toronto
• Director of Bone and Mineral Group and Professor of Laboratory Medicine at University of Toronto • Senior Scientist at Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute • 30 years of research into the determinants of bone quality and fragility • Investigating new calcium phosphate based biomaterials for skeletal tissue engineering
Ian MacbeathFounding CEO
• More than 30 years experience in the biopharmaceutical industry serving in senior executive and CEO positions in “blue-chip” biopharmaceutical companies in both Europe and North America. Range of responsibilities has encompassed: drug discovery, research, clinical development and regulatory submissions, through to sales and marketing.
• Developer of Partisiran, the first RNAi gene therapy medicine in phase 3 trial • Recipient of Prix Galien Canada (2011) and Bill and Marilyn Webber Lifetime Achievement Award • Leading 4 decades of fundamental research on drug delivery systems • More than 300 scientific articles and over 30 patents • Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at UBC • Co Founder, president and director of Canadian Liposome Company Inc. (CIC)
• Recipient of the Foundation Grant • Founder of the BC regenerative Medicine Network • Leading foundational research on the role of stem cells in skeletal muscle regeneration and bone repair • Professor of Medical Genetics and director of Biomedical Research Center at UBC